In addition to personal coaching, I am available for presentations and training for both lay and professional groups.
- Weight Management and the “Non-Diet” Approach
- Healthy, Conscious Eating
- Eating Disorders: Identification and Treatment
- Creating a Healthy Body Image
- Diet and Nutrition Policy in the United States
I also offer training and consultation in Motivational Interviewing (MI) for Health Professionals. I am available to provide lectures, webinars and workshops to a variety of institutions and individuals.
I am a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT), the professional organization of MI trainers.
Motivational Interviewing is a consultation or counseling style that increases peoples’ readiness to change by helping them resolve ambivalence. Ambivalence is simply the tension created by a person’s need to continue the behavior in question versus committing to a plan for change.
Our image of the MI style versus traditional health behavior change counseling is dancing, not wrestling. Using MI techniques, the clinician works together with the client to resolve ambivalence and create a plan for change.
MI is a style of talking with individuals in a constructive manner regarding the “whys,” “whens,” and “hows” of change. MI employs strategies that enhance an individual’s own motivation for and commitment to change.
Through the Institute for Motivation and Change, my colleague, Gary Rose and I provide training workshops in MI for health professionals including dietitians, physicians, nurses, diabetes educators, physical therapists, personal trainers, athletic trainers, and pharmacists, and others who counsel people in health behavior change. For more information, please visit www.trainingwithdrellen.com or email me at email@example.com.
I have conducted trainings and presentations for the following organizations:
- Action for Boston Community Development, Head Start Faculty and staff training
- Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA
- Maine Tobacco Free
- Veteran’s Administration MOVE! Program for Weight Management
- Performance Medicine, Partners Health Care, Boston, MA
- Genzyme, Inc.
- Eating Disorders Conference, “It Takes A Village”, MIT, Boston, MA
- Thundermist Health Systems, Pawtucket, RI
- National Eating Disorders conference, Plymouth State University, Meredith, NH
- Northeastern University School of Professional Studies
- Northeastern University, Community Health Development Institute
- The Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Newburyport Public Schools, Newburyport, MA
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Weight Management Center, Boston, MA
- MetroWest Wellness Center, Framingham, MA
- Health Care of Southeastern Mass/Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Brockton, MA
- Boston University School of Public Health
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Boston Medical Center, Nutrition and Weight Management Center
- Boston Medical Center, Cardiac Rehabilitation Unit
- Rhode Island Clinical Research Center/Domani Metabolic Clinic, Tiverton, RI
- Newbury College, Brookline, MA
- Brookline Adult Education, Brookline, MA
- Temple Shalom of Newton, MA
- Sargent College, Boston University
- Tufts University, Medford, MA
- University of Miami School of Nursing, Miami, FL